the first basilica in Rome, built for
judicial and business
purposes by Cato in 184 B.C., in the face of much
opposition (Liv. xxxix.
; Ascon. in Mil. arg. 34; Plut. Cat. Mai. 19; Cat. Min. 5;
ill. 47). It stood a little west of the curia, IN LAUTUMIIS
(q.v.), on ground
purchased by Cato and occupied by shops and two private
of Maenius and Titius. In it the tribunes held court. It was
in 52 B.C. with the curia of Sulla at the funeral of Clodius,
probably totally destroyed, as there is no further mention
of it (Jord.
. 344; Mitt. 1893, 84
, 91; BC 1914, 107
; Thed. 138-