previous next

CELLAE VINARIAE NOVA ET ARRUNTIANA

a wine warehouse (CIL vi. 8826) on the right bank of the Tiber that was excavated when the garden of the Villa Farnesina was reduced in size for the new embankment. It was just north of the line of the Aurelian wall and was buried beneath its glacis. It was a rectangular structure, resembling the horrea, of which the first story consisted of vaulted store-rooms and the second of a complex of courts surrounded by long porticoes (NS 1878, 66; 1879, 15, 40, 68; 1880, 127-142; 1884, 238; BC 1927, 46).

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: