probably the intersection of the VICUS CUPRIUS (q.v.)1
and another street that ran north-east, up and across the Carinae.
This compitum is mentioned twice. Near it was the Tigillum Sororium
(Hemerol. Arv. ad Kal. Oct. =CIL vi. 32482), and a shop that was bought
by the state for Archagathus, the first Greek physician who came to
Rome, in 229 B.C. (Plin. NH xxix. 12; cf. Mommsen, Munzwesen 632).
1 Two churches, S. Maria and S. Nicholas, which lay between these streets, were called
'inter duo ' or ' inter duas ' (HCh 340, 394).
A Topographical Dictionary of Ancient Rome. Samuel Ball Platner. Thomas Ashby. London: Humphrey Milford. Oxford University Press. 1929.
The National Endowment for the Humanities provided support for entering this text.