previous next

CURIA ATHLETARUM

the headquarters, under the empire, of the organised athletes of Rome. The name, curia athletarum (acletarum) appears in one Latin inscription (CIL vi. 10154; 10153 refers to it) ; on numerous Greek inscriptions it appears as ξυστικὴ σύνοδος τῶν . . . ἀθλητῶνIG xiv. 1054, 1055, 1102-1110). These inscriptions were found between S. Pietro in Vincoli and S. Martino, indicating that the building was in the immediate vicinity of the thermae Traianae, and an attempt has been made to identify it with a basilica-shaped hall just north of the thermae (BC 1891, 185-209). This curia was given to the association in 143 A.D. by the Emperor Antoninus Pius (HJ 314).

hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
143 AD (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: