previous next

SEP. C. SULPICI PLATORINI

the family tomb of C. Sulpicius Platorinus, triumvir monetalis in 18 B.C., on the right bank of the Tiber, close to the end of the pons Agrippae and just inside the later Aurelian wall, excavated in 1880 (NS 1880, 129-138; 1883, 372; 1896, 467-469; BC 1880, 136-138; Mitt. 1889, 286; HJ 650). It was a rectangular structure, 7.44 metres long and 7.12 wide, with the entrance on the west; the stylobate and front part of the walls were of travertine, the inner walls of brick-faced concrete, and the pavement of white mosaic. In the niches were cinerary urns with inscriptions, and on the pavement were found two statues of heroic size and a bust. The inscriptions found in the tomb date from the time of Augustus to that of the Flavians (CIL vi. 31761-31768a). It has been reconstructed in the Museo Nazionale Romano (BA 1911,365; PT 68, 71, 242).

hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
18 BC (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: