The Life of Marcus Antonius
- I. Parentage of ANTONIUS.
- 2. His early acts.
- 3. He sides with JULIUS CAESAR.
- 4. His valorous deeds, and good service at the battle of PHARSALIA.
- 5. His dissolute manner of life.
- 6. How he was the unwitting cause of the conspiracy against CAESAR.
- 7. Murder of CAESAR.
- 8. Arrival of OCTAVIUS at Rome.
- 9. Patient bearing of ANTONIUS under adversity.
- 10. The first triumvirate.
- 11. Death of BRUTUS and CASSIUS.
- 12. Evil Influence of Grecian manners.
- 13. ANTONIUS falls in love with CLEOPATRA; description of her magnificence.
- 14. Extravagance of ANTONIUS.
- 15. Sportiveness of CLEOPATRA.
- 16. Death of FULVIA, and marriage of ANTONIUS with OCTAVIA.
- 17. Some account of SEXTUS POMPEIUS.
- 18. Inferiority of ANTONIUS to OCTAVIUS CAESAR.
- 19. War against the PARTHIANS and triumph of VENTIDIUS.
- 20. Quarrel between ANTONIUS and OCTAVIUS.
- 21. ANTONIUS indulges his love for CLEOPATRA, to his own great loss.
- 22. He besieges PHRAATA, and encounters the PARTHIANS.
- 23. The PARTHIANS harass his retreat.
- 24. Great sufferings of the ROMANS during their retreat.
- 25. Advice of MITHRIDATES the PARTHIAN.
- 26. The ROMANS still retreat, and cross the ARAXES.
- 27. ANTONIUS returns to CLEOPATRA.
- 28. Wars between the PARTHIANS and MEDES.
- 29. OCTAVIA comes to ATHENS. Wily conduct of CLEOPATRA.
- 30. ANTONIUS bestows kingdoms on his sons.
- 31. OCTAVIUS excites the Romans against him.
- 32. ANTONIUS and CLEOPATRA arrive et SAMOS. He divorces his wife OCTAVIA.
- 33. The preparations of OCTAVIUS for War.
- 34. Signs and omens.
- 35. The battle of ACTIUM.
- 36. Flight of CLEOPATRA.
- 37. Events after the battle.
- 38. ANTONIUS follows the example of TIMON OF ATHENS.
- 39. CLEOPATRA makes experiments with poisons.
- 40. Negociations with OCTAVIUS.
- 41. Death of ANTONIUS.
- 42. OCTAVIUS captures CLEOPATRA, and takes ALEXANDRIA.
- 43. ANTONIUS is buried by CLEOPATRA.
- 44. Interview between, CLEOPATRA and OCTAVIUS.
- 45. Death of CLEOPATRA.
- 46. The children of ANTONIUS.
The liberality of Antonius' father.
Julia the mother of M. Antonius.
Antonius corrupted by Curio.
Antonius used in his speaking the Asiatic phrase.
Antonius had charge of horsemen under Gabinius , proconsul, going into Syria.
Antonius' acts against Aristobulus.
Antonius took Aristobulus prisoner.
Antonius' acts in Egypt under Gabinius.
Antonius' courtesy unto Archelaus being dead.
Antonius' shape and presence.
The house of the Antonii descended from Hercules.
Antonius tribune of the people and augur.
Antonius acts for Caesar.
Antonius flieth from Rome unto Caesar.
Cicero reproved for lying.
Alexander, Cyrus and Caesar all contended to reign.
Caesar's ambition the only cause of the civil war.
Caesar gave the charge of Italy unto Antonius.