Extracts from the Life of Theseus
- 1. THESEUS destroys the robber named PERIPHETES CORYNETES, and spares the life of PERIGOUNA. (He destroys the wild sow named PHEA. He slays CERCYON the Arcadian in a wrestling match.)
- 2. He arrives at Athens, where MEDEA endeavours to persuade AEGEUS to poison him; but AEGEUS, recognising him, acknowledges him as his son. (THESEUS destroys the Pallantides, and takes the bull of MARATHON alive.)
- 3. Why the Athenians paid tribute to MINOS of Crete. The Cretan labyrinth. THESEUS sails to Crete, and overcomes TAURUS.
- 4. ARIADNE falls in love with THESEUS. THESEUS slays DEUCALION, and deserts ARIADNE. Various accounts of ARIADNE'S fate.
- 5. Death of AEGEUS.
- 6. THESEUS strengthens the city of Athens. (He coins money stamped with oxen, and institutes the Isthmian games.)
- 7. Death of SOLOIS.
- 8. He wars with the Amazons, concludes peace, and marries HIPPOLYTA; or, as others say, ANTIOPA. (The son of THESEUS and ANTIOPA was named HIPPOLYTUS. Various accounts of his many marriages.)
- 9. His friendship with PIRITHOUS.
- 10. How THESEUS and PIRITHOUS carried off HELEN and PROSERPINA, (War between the Tyndarides and Athenians.)
- 11. THESEUS delivered from prison by HERCULES. (The Athenians rebel against THESEUS. Various accounts of his death.)
Desire of fame pricketh men forward to great enterprises.
Theseus and Hercules near kinsmen.
Periphetes Corynetes a famous robber, slain of Theseus.
Theseus carried the club he wan of Periphetes, as Hercules did the Lion's skin.
Sinnis Pityocamtes, a cruel murderer, slain.
Perigouna Sinnis' daughter.
Theseus begat Menalippus of Perigouna.
Medea persuaded Aegeus to poison Theseus.
The manner of the tribute conditioned.
The Minotaur what it was.
A corpse combin'd, which monstrous might be deem'd:
A boy, a bull, both man and beast it seem'd.
The Labyrinth a prison in Creata.
Taurus one of Minos' captains.
Of the Bottieians. Plin.lib.iv.cap. 2.
The third time of payment of the tribute. The Athenians are grieved to depart with their children.
Theseus offereth to go with the children into Creata.
Lots drawn for the childen that should go.
The Athenians sent their children into Creta in a ship with a black sail. Aegeus giveth the master of the ship a white sail to signify the safe return of Theseus.
Theseus taketh ship with the tribute children the sixth of March, and saileth into Creata.
Theseus slew the Minotaur by means of Ariadne, king Minos' daughter.
Theseus' return out of Creta.
Taurus overcome of Theseus, was a man.
Taurus suspected with Pasiphae, king Minos' wife.
How Ariadne fell in love with Theseus.
Minos sendeth Theseus home with his prisoners, and releaseth the Athenians of their tribute.
Theseus sailed into Creta, and wan the city of Gnosus, and slew Deucalion.
Divers opinions of Ariadne.
Aegles, the nymph, was loved of Theseus,5.
Who was the daughter of Panopeus....
Theseus' master of his ship forgat to set out the white sail.
Theseus arriveth safe with the tribute children in the haven of Phalerus.
The herald bare a rod in his hand.
Theseus brought the inhabitants of the country of Attica into one city.
Asty the town-house of the Athenians.
The feasts Panathenaea and Metaecia.
Theseus resigneth his kingdom, and maketh Athens a commonwealth.
Theseus' journey into Mare Major.
Antiopa the Amazon carried off by Theseus.
Solois fell in love with Antiopa.
Solois drowned himself for love.
Pythopolis built by Theseus.
The cause of the wars of the Amazons against the Athenians.
Bosphorus Cimmericus, an arm of the sea.
Theseus fighteth a battle with the Amazons.
The order of the Amazons' battle.
Peace concluded at four months, and by the means of Hippolyta.
Proverb. Not without Theseus.
Theseus' valiantness the cause of Pirithous' friendship with him.
Pirithous and Theseus sworn brethren in the field.
The manner of Helen's ravishment.
Theseus left Helen in the city of Aphidnae.
Theseus went with Pirithous into Epirus to steal Proserpina Aedoneus' daughter.
Theseus delivered out of prison by Hercules' means.