95. 10.184 NOLAN AMPHORA (with triple handles) from Suessula PLATE L, 95Formerly in the Spinelli collection near Cancello. The drawings are by Caskey. Height 0.255. A, RM., 2 p. 240 fig. 9; A, FR. pl. 159, 1, whence (corrected by the omission of the upper border added by Reichhold) Panm. pl. 18, 1; A, International Studio 88 (Dec. 1927) p. 71, above, left (D. C. Rich); the shape, Hambidge p. 78 and Caskey G. p. 64. A, Zeus and Ganymede; B, a boy running with a leg of meat in his hand. About 470, by the Pan Painter (VA. p. 115; Att. V. p. 101 no. 21; Panm. p. 14 and p. 22 no. 26: ARV. p. 364 no. 32). This is an unusually small Nolan amphora: Naples 3137, one of the Berlin Painter's earliest Nolans, is smaller (height 0.233: ARV. p. 135 no. 48); some of the Nolans by the Painter of London E 342 and his companions are also small, but they are later and of very poor quality. A band of floral pattern, palmettes sideways, takes the place of the more usual maeander below the pictures. The handle-palmettes have relief-contour, and the petals are ribbed. The figures on A are contoured with relief-lines; there is little relief-contour on B — for face, neck, and right shoulder only. Brown lines on the arms in A, and raised dots for the forehead-hair. Red for wreaths. Dietrich von Bothmer tells me that there are two 'ghosts' (see ii p. 55): to left of Zeus, upright, part of a palmette-strip like that below the figures; to left of the boy on B, a piece of maeander, diagonal. 'Zeus pursuing Ganymede' is a favourite subject in the late archaic and early classic periods: see G. Koerte in Annali 1876 pp. 49-62; Paul Friedländer in Pauly-Wissowa s.v. Ganymedes; Buschor in FR. iii p. 254; Panm. p. 14; Kunze Zeus und Ganymedes; EVP. index, p. 313. The Pan Painter himself has left three pictures of it. On the Boston vase Zeus is in the act of laying hand on Ganymede. He holds a sceptre in his left hand and is dressed in a himation: Ganymede also wears a himation, and holds hoop and hoop-stick. Both have long hair and are wreathed. On the reverse, a boy, dressed in a himation, and wreathed, runs off, looking round, with a piece of meat, leg and side of an animal, in his left hand: he may be an older companion of Ganymede. On an unpublished lekythos, from Novoli, in Taranto (ARV. p. 366 no. 59) Ganymede runs to left, his left leg frontal, with hoop and hoop-stick in his left hand, and looks round at Zeus, who grasps him with his right hand and holds the sceptre in his left; both wear wraps only. On the ground, to left of Ganymede, is his pet cock, which he has let fall. Inscription ΚΑΛΟΣ. The third vase is an oinochoe in New York (AJA 1926 p. 36; Panm. pl. 18, 2; Richter and Hall pl. 69, 65 and pl. 177, 65: ARV. p. 367 no. 76): Ganymede alone is represented, wreathed, and wearing the himation (drawn much as in the Boston picture); as he runs he holds not only hoop and hoop-stick, but also the cock.1 Nearly all the Attic red-figure pictures of Zeus pursuing Ganymede are mentioned in ARV.: see the index of subjects, p. 987, where, however, references to pp. 137, 166, 367 should have been added and 441 changed to 443. The Simkhovitch lekythos (p. 647 no. 26) is now Indianapolis 47.35 (Bulletin of the Art Association of Indianapolis 34 p. 19, 2). The Curtius fragment (p. 332 no. 25) in all probability represents Zeus and Ganymede. The following are not mentioned in ARV.:
- Delos, rf. fragment (of a calyx-krater?). (Forearm with cock.)
- Athens, Acr. 731, fragment of a rf. calyx-krater. Langlotz pl. 58.
- Louvre G 183, rf. stamnos. A, Annali 1876 pl. B; CV. pl. 15, 2 and 5 and pl. 16, 6.
- Oxford 278, small rf. neck-amphora. CV. pl. 15, 5-6.
- Athens, Ceramicus Museum, fragment of a white bobbin. Anz. 1940 p. 335. Inscription [ΓΑΝ]ΥΜΕΔΕΣ. By the Penthesilea Painter.
- Ferrara, rf. pelike. A, Zeus and Ganymede. B, Eos with Kephalos in her arms.
- Gela, Cav. Cesare Navarra-Salonia, rf. lekythos. Described by Benndorf in Bull. 1867 p. 232 no. 1; Koerte no. 1.
G. M. A. Richter, AJA 30 (1926), p. 37; Sichtermann 1955, p. 76, no. 28, pl. 2, 2; idem, AntK 2 (1959), p. 13, pl. 8, 4; ARV2, p. 553, no. 39; Follmann 1968, pp. 37, 110, no. 39; L. Byvanck-Quarles van Ufford, BABesch 44 (1969), pp. 130, 132; Boardman 1975, pp. 180, 190 (fig. 339), 224, 247; B. S. Ridgway, Hesperia 46 (1977), p. 317, note 7; V. Webb, 1978, Archaic Greek Faience, Warminster, Aris and Phillips, p. 160, note 35; A. Balomenou, ArchDelt 33 (1978), p. 338, note 4; Kaempf-Dimitriadou 1979, pp. 9, 77, no. 9, pl. 2, 3-4; Brommer 1979a, p. 20; Brommer 1980, p. 48, no. B 20; Beazley Addenda 1, p. 126; Koch-Harnack 1983, pp. 136, 254, cat. no. 104; Images 1984, p. 32, fig. 45 (J.-L. Durand); Bilderwelt 1984, p. 48, fig. 45 (J.-L. Durand); Keuls 1985, pp. 286, 288, fig. 257; M. Robertson, in Greek Vases in the J. Paul Getty Museum 3 (1986), p. 72, note 4; LIMC, IV, 1, p. 156, no. 31, IV, 2, pl. 78 (H. Sichtermann); Koch-Harnack 1989, pp. 65, 67, fig. 47; E. D. Serbeti, Boreas 12 (1989), pp. 21 (note 20), 37 (note 126); Padgett 1989, pp. 11 (note 5), 64; Beazley Addenda 2, p. 258; Arafat 1990, pp. 69, 72, 189, no. 3.3.