previous next



A Greek word used to refer either to the mens apartment, especially dining room, in a large house or to a specially constructed building or room which was used (by men) as a banqueting hall at religious or civic festivals. These rooms or buildings are often identifiable as such by the off-center placement of the doorway, which allowed for a maximum number of dining couches (Greek: kline) to be arranged end-to-end around the perimeter of the room. Frequently the center of the room is decorated with mosaic or other special floor treatment, and a border around the edge of the room is raised slightly for couches.

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: