- various legends as to his parentage: Paus. 1.14.2 ff.
- elder son of Metanira and Celeus, receives a dragon-drawn chariot and wheat from Demeter, and sows the whole earth: Apollod. vol. 1.44
- according to others, a son of Eleusis or of Ocean and Earth: Apollod. vol. 1.44
- the first to sow grain: Paus. 1.14.2 ff.
- mysteries of Eleusis revealed to him by Demeter: Paus. 2.14.3
- teaches Eumelus and Arcas to sow corn: Paus. 7.18.2, Paus. 8.4.1
- his chariot drawn by dragons: Paus. 7.18.3
- with Eumelus founds city Anthea: Paus. 7.18.3
- his image at Athens: Paus. 1.14.1
- temple, altar, and threshing-floor of Triptolemus at Eleusis: Paus. 1.38.6