(Les Fumades) Canton of Saint-Ambroix,
Ancient watering place (cold
sulphur springs), partially explored at the end of the
19th c. In addition to the buildings that were uncovercd
(circular swimming pool, neighboring rooms, of varying
construction, with mosaics) there was a well with 24
altars, of which 11 bore dedications to the nymphs and
bas-reliefs representing nymphs or mother goddesses.
Utilitarian artifacts (wooden bucket, pipes) were found
in the ruins, and a large number of votive objects including more than 1000 Roman coins, some gold, which
indicate that the establishment was most frequented under the Flavians and the Antonines.
Carte archéologique de la Gaule romaine
, fasc. VIII, Gard (1941) 198, no. 326; Grenier,
IV, 2 (1960) 521.