previous next

APHRODITOPOLIS or Pathyris (El-Gabalein) Egypt.

ca. 16 km S of Arment. One of several sites where Hathor, whom the Greeks identified with Aphrodite, was worshiped. This site was noted by Strabo (17.1.47). The remains of a temple dedicated to Hathor were rebuilt by Ptolemy Euergetes II. A necropolis from the Ptolemaic period has yielded Greek papyri and ostraca.


BIBLIOGRAPHY

A. Weigall, A Guide to the Antiquities of Upper Egypt (1913) 297-99; Porter & Moss, Top. Bibl., V. Upper Egypt: Sites (1937) 161-64; E. Brunner-Traut & V. Hell, Aegypten (1966) 627.

S. SHENOUDA

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: