(Beckfoot) Cumberland, England.
Coastal fort S of the W end of Hadrian's Wall, for an
infantry unit of 500, built of stone with internal angle
towers and four gates with guard-chambers, occupied
from Hadrian's reign until the late 4th c. The only
known garrison is Cohors XI Pannoniorum. Ballista
platforms may have been added to the defenses in the
R. G. Collingwood, “The Roman fort
at Beckfoot,” Trans. Cumberland and Westmorland
. ser. 2,36 (1936) 76-84.