previous next

CAER GYBI Anglesey, Wales.

On the low cliff on the W side of Holyhead harbor are the walls and round towers of a small fort of uncertain date. The W side is 76 m long and the N and S sides 48 and 41 m, respectively, to the points at which they disappear at the edge of the cliff. Near the NW angle the walls survive to a height of 4 m, revealing details of the rampart walk (1 m wide) and parapet. Caer Gybi is generally interpreted as a fortified beaching-point with only three sides, of a type known on the Rhine in the late 4th c. A.D. Such a fort might provide protection to vessels trading between Anglesey and the mainland at a period when piracy was a serious problem. No Roman material has been found at Caer Gybi, however, and the site may be mediaeval.


R.E.M. Wheeler, Segontium and the Roman Occupation of Wales (1924) 97-101 = Y Cyminrodor 33 (1923); W. E. Griffiths, “Excavations at Caer Gybi, Holyhead, 1952,” Archaeologia Cambrensis 103 (1954) 113-16; W. G. Putnam in V. E. Nash-Williams, The Roman Frontier in Wales (2d ed. by M. G. Jarrett 1969) 135-37MPI.


hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: