known of the early history of this settlement, which
stood on a spur projecting from the N Lincolnshire
Wolds. Probably in the 4th c., irregular polygonal defenses were built to enclose the spur (area ca. 3.2 ha).
The circuit included a number of external towers, which,
as at Horncastle, were built at the same time as the wall.
A connection with coastal defense is to be presumed.
Occupation continued after the end of the Roman period, as indicated by early Germanic burials at Nettleton
C.F.C. Hawkes, “Roman Ancaster,
Horncastle and Caistor,” ArchJ
103 (1946) 17ff; P.
Rahtz, “Caistor,” AntJ
40 (1960) 175ff.