previous next

CERNA Dobrudja, Romania.

Roman rural settlement on the road along the lower Danube between Troesmis to Arrubium. Extensive traces of stone buildings are spread over the ground, where have been found many sculptural fragments, inscriptions dating from the 2d and 3d c., tiles, pottery fragments, coins, and pithoi with cereals. The settlement was defended by a stone rampart 2.5 m in width. Remains of an aqueduct are still visible. The site developed on the territorium of Troesmis.


BIBLIOGRAPHY

P. Nicorescu, “Liber-Dionysos,” Buletinul Comisiunii Monumentelor istorice 8 (1915) 41-45; R. Vulpe, Histoire Ancienne de la Dobroudja (1938) 183, 214.

E. DORUTIU-BOILA

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: