previous next

CHAMPIGNEULLES Meurthe-et-Moselle, France.

One part of the ancient site is situated on the sides of the valley of the Meurthe, a short distance from its junction with the Moselle; another is in a smaller adjacent valley which descends from the Haye massif. The first discoveries of ancient remains were made at the end of the 19th c., at the locality named Le Noirval. These consist of fragments of stelne (now in the Musée Lorrain at Nancy) depicting divinities and probably related to an iron-working establishment exploiting the local ore; the slag piles are still visible.

In 1969 housing construction at the NW exit of the modern village (at the locality named au Sarrazin) brought to light the remains of a Gallo-Roman structure, apparently a villa rustica. The buildings are divided into two quite distinct parts. To the S are outbuildings used for farming or handicrafts, with a circular annex, possibly a dovecote. To the N are living rooms, one of which was plastered and painted in polychrome geometric motifs. In the middle a bathing pool and hypocaust were identified. At the S end in a cellar furnished with niches a very large hoard of bronze objects was found; they were no doubt rejects intended for recasting. It comprised, on the one hand, sections of pipes and faucets, pieces of harness, parts of household effects (fragments of candelabra, fittings for furniture legs, various zoomorphic ornaments) and, on the other, a statue of an adolescent Dionysos (height: 0.6 m). These objects are preserved in the Musée Lorrain at Nancy.


BIBLIOGRAPHY

M. Toussaint, Répertoire archéologique Meurthe-et-Moselle (1947) 14-15; R. Billoret in Gallia 28 (1970)PI.

R. BILLORET

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: