previous next

CHARADROS (Kalediran) Turkey.

Site in Cilicia Aspera, 25 km W of Anamur. Recorded as a city with harbor by Pseudo-Skylax in the 4th c. B.C., later a station under a Ptolemaic hegemon. It is mentioned in the Stadiasmus as a chorion, and about A.D. 200 as a harbor of Lamos—probably the region rather than the city (IGR III, 838). Virtually nothing remains of the city apart from some scattered blocks among the houses and a milestone of A.D. 137.


BIBLIOGRAPHY

R. Heberdey & A. Wilhelm, Reisen in Kilikien (1896) 155; G. E. Bean & T. B. Mitford, Journeys in Rough Cilicia in 1962 and 1963 (1965) 42-43.

G. E. BEAN

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: