previous next

DAĞ PAZARI (“Koropissos”) Cilicia Aspera, Turkey.

Ca. 34 km N of Mut (Claudiopolis) and ca. 48 km SE of Karaman, this large and impressive site at ca. 1400 m above sea level is protected on three sides by steep descents towards the swift-flowing stream of the Kavak Gözü; to the N, the natural strength of its elevation above the main road was reinforced by a wall. Occupied at least from the 5th c. B.C., the place had civic status by the time of Septimius Severus and was a bishopric by the 5th c.

Circled by ramparts (1.2 m thick by 5 m high) with 9 m square towers at intervals, the highest point was defended by a redoubt. An aqueduct brought water to the city from the S, and there was a hippodrome on flat ground to the N. A columnar heroon stands S of the river, and weathered, apparently uninscribed sarcophagi flank the Mut-Karaman road. As a bishopric, Dağ Pazari almost certainly boasted a monastery (now destroyed), a cathedral with an adjoining baptistery, a funerary church extra muros, and an ambulatory church with certain similarities to foundations at Meryemlik (Seleucea on the Kalykadnos) and Alahan, ca. 21 km NW of Mut, the last three sometimes attributed to Zeno, the Isaurian emperor.

The identification of the site with Koropissos (Coriopio in the Peutinger Table), on the route between Iconium and Seleucea, is supported by an inscription mentioning Koropissos which was found and copied near Mut in 1961.


E. J. Davis, Life in Asiatic Turkey (1879) 325; W. Ramsay, Historical Geography of Asia Minor (1890) 366, 369; G. Forsyth, “Architectural Notes on Cilicia,” DOPapers 11 (1957) 233-36.


hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: