the site called De Hoge Woerd, 5.5 km W of Utrecht, on
the Limes Germaniae Inferioris. It was built near a river
or creek now silted up. Its size is still unknown, but it
was occupied from the Claudian period until ca. A.D. 250.
Part of a barrack building has been found, and the foundations of what may have been a bath. Near the river some strata with level patches of charcoal may represent ustrina or perhaps small industries. Tiles with the stamps
of several army units have been found. Finds are in
the Provinciaal Oudheidkundig Museum, Utrecht.
C. W. Vollgraff & G. van Hoorn, “Verslag van eene Proefgraving op de Hooge Woerd bij De
Meern,” Meded. der Ned. Ak. v. Wet
. NR 4, no. 6
; J. H. Jongkees & C. Isings, Opgravingen op de
Hoge Woerd bij De Meern
(1957, 1960); J. B. Wolters,
Archaeologica Traiectina V. Groningen
; J. E.
Bogaers & C. B. Rüger, Der Niedergermanische Limes