previous next

DRYMAIA or DRYMOS, NW Phokis, Greece.

Probably on the frontier with Doris; located on S foothills of Mt. Kallidromos, on the side road to Glounista village. Several inscriptions are built into a church in the village (IG IX 1.226-23 refers to the name). Drymaia was burned by the Persians in 480 B.C.

The citadel was on a projecting spur, the lower town in the plain to the S, where the walls can be traced around an area of ca. 0.20 sq. km. Among the foundations in the plain are some that Frazer conjectured may have belonged to a temple; Pausanias (10.33.12) mentions a temple and festival of Demeter Thesmophoros, with an archaic cult-statue. Sherds run into Roman Imperial times.

The walls are well preserved on the summit and S slopes of the hill. The masonry is massive trapezoidal; some towers still stand 7-8 m high. Loopholes preserved in the middle of the field face may have been designed for bolt-throwing artillery (oxybeleis); for the existing circuit, like many others in Phokis, seems to date from the last third of the 4th c. There is a gate (partly ancient) in the cross wall separating the acropolis from the city, and traces of another gate seem to be preserved in the E wall, at the foot of the acropolis.


BIBLIOGRAPHY

J. G. Frazer, Paus. Des. Gr. (1898) V 423-24; J. B. Tillard, BSA 17 (1910-11) 54ffM; F. Schober, Phokis (1924) 28; F. E. Winter, Greek Fortifications (1971) 36, 158I.

F. E. WINTER

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: