previous next

DURISDEER Dumfriesshire, Scotland.

The best preserved of the series of Roman fortlets established in upper Annandale and Nithsdale ca. A.D. 140. Defended by a 9 m thick rampart and a single rock-cut ditch, it measures 51 x 36 m externally (0.19 ha), and the entrance is protected by a titulum. Excavation in 1938 showed that one half of the interior had been occupied by a timber barrack-building, while areas of flagging in the other half may indicate the presence of stabling.


BIBLIOGRAPHY

S. N. Miller, ed., The Roman Occupation of South-western Scotland (1952) 124-26.

K. A. STEER

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: