(Wanborough) Wiltshire, England.
A site at the junction of a road from Cunetio and the road from Calleva to Corinium. It is
mentioned in the Antonine Itinerary
(485.5). Little is
known of its history. A military occupation immediately
after the Roman conquest might be expected, but evidence is lacking. A settlement centered on the road junction began to grow in the later decades of the 1st c.; it extended during following centuries over a considerable
area, and reached its maximum in the 4th c. Most of the
buildings flanked the roads. The name would suggest
fortifications, but none have yet been found. Excavations
since 1966 have shown that the main roadside development consisted of shops and workshops, although comfortable dwellings, some with mosaics, were built farther
away and were served by well-metaled side streets. The
discovery of a large number of late coins suggests an
occupation continuing well into the 5th c.
Nothing of the site is visible. The finds from the excavations will go to Swindon Museum, Wiltshire.
M. E. Cunnington, Wiltshire Archaeological Magazine
45 (1930-32) 207; E. Greenfield, JRS
57 (1967) 196; 58 (1968) 201; 59 (1969) 230; J. S.
1 (1970) 300.
J. S. WACHER