County of Veszprém, Hungary.
A Roman villa ca. 1 km W
of the community of Rátót in the Pogánytelek fields. A
Roman road here led toward Arrabona through the
Bakony. The excavations extended over an area of 10 ha.
The villa was occupied from the end of the 1st c. to the
end of the 4th. The main building, during its first period,
was built as an atrium, and later, adjusting to the cold
climate of Pannonia, a heating system and bath were
added. During the 3d c. several buildings of the settlement were equipped with corner towers against the increasing number of barbarian attacks. A separate bath
building was fed by the numerous springs nearby.
At the end of the 4th c. the complex became a fortified
Roman settlement. The legacy of the migrations following the Roman era is revealed in the buildings, as well
as in the traces of tall buildings used for drying and
storing grain. In one building an iron plate (for the cover
of a small chest), decorated with silver and bronze inlay, was discovered. Its inscription preserves the name
M.FLAVIVS. ANTHV. F. B. The villa had a potter's kiln
where leaden sacred objects were also manufactured. The
votives depict the goddesses of fertility, Silvana Silvannae and Isis Conservatrix. The finds are in the museum
G. Rhé, “Ös- és ókori nyomok Veszprém
körül,” Spuren aus der Vorzeit und dem Altertum in der
Gerend von Veszprém
(1906); E. Thomas, “Monuments
votivs en plomb sur le territoire de la Pannonie: La
Fonderie de plomb de Pogánytelek,” Arch. Ért
32-38; id., Römische Villen
. . . (1964) 34-49.
E. B. THOMAS