(Gâvur Ören) Turkey.
Pisidia near Karacaviran, 25 km S of Burdur, at one
time identified with Kormasa. The true identification depends on a dedication by the Council and People of
Hadriani to the Emperor Verus found near the village of
Kozluca some 8 km W-SW. Apart from this one inscription the name of Hadriani occurs only in the Byzantine
bishopric lists. No coins are known.
The site at Gâvur Ören is extensive though ruined;
apart from a large building of unknown purpose the chief
remains consist of tombs, including handsome sarcophagi and some impressive mausoleums now reduced to
little more than a heap of blocks. The city's territory
must have extended into the valley of the Lysis on the W,
with a smaller area to the E. Whether Hadriani was a
new foundation in the time of Hadrian or a refounding
of an earlier town remains uncertain.
W. M. Rainsay, Cities and Bishoprics
(1895) 327 n.1; G. E. Bean, AnatSt
9 (1959) 108-10.
G. E. BEAN