The island is one
of the Anatolian Sporades group, W of Samos. According to legend the name of the island derives from the fall
of Ikaros, son of Daidalos, who plunged to earth there
after his fatal flight. According to Pausanias (9.11.5
tomb was on the island. Archaeological remains are extensive near the modern village of Kalpos, and have been
identified with ancient Oinoe; fragments of inscriptions
and funerary reliefs have been reused in the walls. Remains of walls have been discovered on the hill of Ag.
Irini, and the remnants of a Byzantine church lie over
the foundation of an ancient basilica. Perhaps the ancient
city was on the sea, as a necropolis of the 5th and 4th c.
B.C. extends S from the coast. At Raches a Greek necropolis of the same date has been discovered. At Nas, on the
W coast, there was perhaps a small port. Walls there date
from the Classical period, and foundations of two small
buildings and one larger one have been discovered. The
material found includes fragments of Greek-Oriental
ceramics which indicate that the area was frequented
from the 7th to 5th c. B.C. Marble pieces, statuettes, and
inscriptions on ceramic fragments indicate that they belong to the Sanctuary of Artemis Tauropolos, recorded
in the sources.
In the ancient center of Thermai there are remains of
bath buildings. Kataphygion, the ancient acropolis, occupied the summit of a mountain, not precisely located,
which was called Kastro and which dominated the coast
and the sea. Near the modern village of Kataphygion a
necropolis has been excavated, containing tombs dating
from the beginning of the 5th c. on.
E. Bürcher, RE
9 (1916) c. 973 s.v. n.2;
53 (1938) 581; (1939) 284; (1942) 191;
G. Becatti & L. Banti, Enciclopedia Italiana, Appendice
(1938-48) s.v. Grecia; G. B. Montanan, EAA
s.v. Icaria (G. B. Montanari).
G. BERMOND MONTANARI