Site in Pisidia, whose ancient
name is unknown, directly across the lake from Burdur.
The city stood on two hills with stretches of rough wall
at the foot. The ancient road from the NE is spanned by
a triple-arched gateway in poor condition, and at one
point are the ruins of a small temple. The numerous
inscriptions and cut blocks are of unusually good quality
for this region; mention of Council and People is proof
of city status, but no clue to the name has yet appeared.
A milestone (not in situ), showing one mile, indicates
that the city at Ilyas was the caput of a road, perhaps a
short branch joining the main road on the other side of
the lake. In view of the quality of the ruins their anonymity is surprising.
J.R.S. Sterrett, Wolfe Expedition
415-24; W. M. Ramsay, Cities and Bishoprics
322-23, 332-34; G. E. Bean, AnatSt
9 (1959) 81-82.
G. E. BEAN