previous next

KALO PIGADI, later Kallopigadi, Attica, Greece.

About 1 km E of the sanctuary of Eleusis, at the place where the National Highway departs from, and crosses over, the Athens-Eleusis road, there are remains of the best preserved bridge of its kind in Greece. Mostly built of hard poros from Peiraeus, the bridge consists of four arches, measuring 50 x 5.30 m, the two central higher and wider than the two lateral. Against the force of the river, the three supporting piers are protected to the N by semicircular projections. To E and W, ramps, each with a length of 10 m, lead up to the bridge.

Although the general style of the bridge is reminiscent of the Classical period, close study of the masonry, clamps, and letters shows it to be Roman, very similar to work done in Athens on buildings associated with Hadrian. Since it is known from literary sources that the emperor had a bridge built over the Eleusinian Kephissos because of severe flooding, probably on the occasion of his first visit to Greece in A.D. 124-125 when he was initiated into the Mysteries, it is therefore a most likely (and economic) conclusion that the bridge at Kalo-Pigadi is Hadrian's, and carried the Sacred Way across the Kephissos.


BIBLIOGRAPHY

P. Graindor, Athènes sous Hadrien (1934) 35-36; J. Travlos, Ἀνασκαφαὶ ἐν Ἐλευσῖνι, Praktika (1950) 122-27PI; A. Kokkou, Ἁδριάνεια ἔργα εἰς τὰς Ἀθήνας, ArchDelt 25 (1970) Α. Μελέται 171-73PI.

C.W.J. ELIOT

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: