County of Veszprém, Hungary.
the Balaton highlands a large Roman settlement with
villas built close together. In addition to villas, living
quarters, and agricultural buildings, the site shows traces
of public buildings. Most typical of these are two Early
Christian basilicas. At the E end of the village, in the
hollow of Maktyán, at the left side of the road leading
to Kövágóörs, the outlines of one (37.5 x 16.5 m) are
distinguishable. This rectangular structure was divided
lengthwise into three sections by wooden pillars, standing on small stone bases. The pillars next to the walls
were decorated with carved, red standstone columns. The
small dimensions of the columns (trunk 88 cm, head 23
cm high) indicate that they served a strictly decorative
function. The interior division of this structure was made
of wood. It was built in the second half of the 4th c.
The other building, larger and more elevated, stood 85
m away. Its three aisles were built at different levels,
terrace-like. The building is atypical in ground plan. The
excavations have established that an earlier villa was
made into the Christian basilica during the first half of
the 4th c. Two large, lattice-work tiles with Christ monograms were also discovered; they must have served as
apertures to admit light. Near the basilicas, on the S
side of the road to Kövágóörs, are mineral springs which
were also used during the Roman era. Some of the many
stone monuments from the settlement are found in the
National Museum of Budapest and in the Balaton Museum of Keszthely.
L. Nagy, Pannonia Sacra
(1939) 80 pp.;
K. Sági, “Die spätrömische Bevölkerung der Umgebung
von Keszthely,” Acta Arch. Hung
. (1960) 187-256; E.
Thomas, Römische Villen
E. B. THOMAS