be identified with a site SW of Argos near the village of
Paleo Skaphidaki, where Frazer saw marble fragments
and foundation walls. Pausanias speaks of several polyandreia near Kenchreai, mass graves of the Argives fallen
in the battle against the Spartans at Hysiai. The socalled Pyramid of Kenchreai at Helleniko near Cephalan has frequently been proposed as one of these tombs;
it was apparently converted in antiquity to a fort or
guard post. About 8.6 x 14.7 m, the limestone walls are
preserved in some places to their full height of 3.4 m.
The masonry is polygonal, arranged more or less in
courses; above a low vertical base, the outer surface is
dressed to a plane surface in the shape of a truncated
pyramid. The interior was divided into rooms with an
entrance passageway at one side; the outer and inner
doors were barred on the inside and there are cuttings
at the top of the wall for ceiling or roof beams.
Pausanias specifically describes another pyramid near
the church of Haghia Marina 1.5 km W of Ligourio on
the ancient road from Argos to Epidauros. There are
only two courses remaining, also of limestone, but both
show the slope of the pyramid; the plan, about 12.5 x 14
m overall, is similar to that at Helleniko. Pausanias says
it was decorated with carved shields of Argive (round)
shape. The masonry of both tombs has been dated in the
4th c. B.C. and the unusual shape explained by the
traditional close connection between Egypt and the Argives
from the time of their legendary conqueror Danaos,
king of Libya; that 3000 Argive mercenaries were sent
to Egypt in 349 B.C. is still more persuasive evidence.
, 2.25.7; J. G. Frazer, Paus.
. (1895) III 212; L. Lord in Hesperia
; Y. Béquignon in RA
, sér. 6.14 (1939) 48f.
M. H. MC ALLISTER