On the right bank
of the lower Aous, a steep-sided hill is fortified with a
circuit wall ca. 1900 m long. An ancient road enters the
city between two towers of ashlar masonry and foundations of houses are visible inside. Some magistrates of
the city are named on an inscribed block in a house of
the modern village. Religious and funerary reliefs of Hellenistic and Roman times come from the site. Literary
evidence suggests that it was Amantia, the chief city of
the Amantes, who issued coins.
C. Patsch, “Das Sandschak Berat in
Albanien,” Schriften der Balkankommission, Antiquarische Abteilung
, III (1904) 118ff; C. Praschniker, “Muzakhia und Malakastra,”JOAI
21-22 (1922-24) Beiblatt
84ff; P. C. Sestieri in Rivista d'Albania
(1967) 224f, 233ff, 698ff.