City in Pisidia
36 km SW of Burdur. Captured, with much booty, by
Manlius on his march in 189 B.C. (Polyb. 21.36, cf. Livy
; Polybios gives the name as Kyrmasa). The city is
mentioned also by Ptolemy (5.5.5) and is shown on the
between Themisonion and Perge. It
seems never to have struck coins. The site is determined
by an inscription in the neighboring village of Boğaziçi
The ruins consist of great quantities of uncut building
stones, a few cut blocks, and abundant sherds of Roman
date; these extend for 1.5 km, but almost all the better
stones have been removed to the surrounding villages.
The town was apparently never fortified. The necropolis
lies on the slopes above and covers a wide area. Just
above the plain is a rock-cut chamber tomb, and higher
up is a second, together with numerous rock-cut sarcophagi. On the slope between is a group of 20 or more
stone circles from 5 to 8 m in diameter, now mostly
consisting of a single course of stones; in at least one
place, however, there is evidence of three or more courses,
and a large ornamented pediment block 1.72 m wide
indicates that the buildings must originally have been
quite substantial. Nothing similar is found elsewhere in
this region, but there seems no reason to suppose that
these grave circles are of any great antiquity.
L. Duchesne, BCH
3 (1879) 480f; G.
9 (1959) 91-97.
G. E. BEAN