(Livadhostro) Boiotia, Greece.
antiquity, the market town for Thespiae. The site is on
the N slope of Mt. Korombili, near the modern town
of Livadhostro. The harbor, protected from the violent
local storms by a mole in ancient times, had no importance of its own in the Classical period, but served
as a port for Thebes, and maintained close relations with
Corinth. During the war against Antiochos, the Romans
used the town as a base of operations. Pausanias saw
nothing there worth reporting; the site is now marked
by the remains of walls with towers, and a gate 3 m
wide. A bronze statue known as the Livadhostro Poseidon, now in the National Museum, was found in the sea
off nearby Haghios Vasilios at the end of the 19th c.
; Livy 36.21.5
Ptol. 3.14.5; W. M. Leake, Nor. Gr
. (1835) II 406, 505,
M. H. MC ALLISTER