City in Caria, 30 km
S of Bozdogan. It was recorded by Stephanos Byzantios
in the form Kyon, formerly called Kanebion. An inscription informs us that it also at one time was called Palaiopolis, a name which has survived in the modern village.
The rare coins are dated to the 1st c. B.C. The city was in
a commanding position in the mountain country between
the valleys of the Marsyas and Harpasos. The acropolis
is on a height above a deep rocky gorge with a stream
at the bottom. The seats of a theater can be seen in the
village but the stage building has disappeared.
G. Cousin & G. Deschamps, BCH
(1887) 30Sf; A. Laumonier, Les Cultes Indigènes en
G. E. BEAN