8 km E of Aarau, whose ancient name is unknown. The
settlement arose at an intersection in the military road
system around the legionary camp of Vindonissa, ca. 13
km to the NE. Lenzburg was a collecting center for
produce from farms run by the army, and flourished
from the time of Tiberius until the incursions of the
Alamanni, ca. A.D. 259-60.
A military lookout during the 1st c. A.D. and a road
post are attested by legionary stamped tiles and military
bronzes. The settlement developed along a highway 6 m
wide for at least 400 m. The predominant type of house
is familiar: rectangular with the narrow side (ca. 12 m)
on the road, with or without a portico. They combined
shops, workshops, and living quarters and were at first
built of timber and earth on a stone foundation. A large
building (19 x 11 m) with two gateways may have been
an army storehouse. A stone theater (restored) without
a stage building seated 4-5000 persons (cavea 74 m wide;
area 2750 sq. m). Parts of the 1st and 2d c. cemetery
along the highway leading E have also been explored.
Finds are in the Heimatmuseum in Lenzburg.
F. Staehelin, Die Schweiz in römischer
(3d ed. 1948) 616 with bibl.; V. von Goazenbach,
163 (1963) 113-14; H. Wiedeiner & T. Toinasevič, “Die Ausgrabungen in der römischen Siedlung auf
dein Lindfeld bei Lenzburg,” Jber. Gesell. Pro Vindonissa
; (1967) 63-82PI
“Das römische Theater auf dem Lindfeld bei Lenzburg,”
ibid. (1966) 32-50PI
; summaries: Jb. Schweiz. Gesell. f.
41 (1951) 112-13; 43 (1953) 94-96; 54
(1968-69) 91, 93; 56 (1971) 220.
V. VON GONZENBACH