previous next

LIMENIA (Limnitis) Cyprus.

On the NW coast. The remains of a town to be identified with this site cover a small coastal plain which lies some distance W of Vouni Palace. The town is mentioned by Strabo who, however, places it inland. It is also mentioned as the town of embarkation of St. Mark when he left the island. It is also recorded in the Acta Auxibii, where it is given both as Limne and Limnites, thus indicating that this town possessed a harbor. It was in this small town that Auxibios landed on his arrival in Cyprus. Here he was ordained bishop of Soloi by St. Mark, when they met ca. A.D. 52.

A number of antiquities of various kinds turn up occasionally dating mainly from the Graeco-Roman period, while very close to the shore a sanctuary was excavated in 1889. It yielded various sculptures in bronze, limestone, and terracotta dating from the archaic to the Hellenistic period.


H. A. Tubbs, “Excavations at Limniti,” JHS 11 (1890) 82-99MI; Alfred Westholm, The Temples of Soloi (1936), in particular pp. 17-19; Athanasios Papageorghiou, Ἅγιος Αὐξίβιος (1969) 3-28M; RE, S.V. Limenia


hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: