Site, now deserted, in Lycia;
on the mainland N of Kapi Daği, on the W side of the
gulf of Fethiye, some 3 km inland from Sarsila Iskelesi.
Lissa is mentioned only by Pliny (HN 5.101; see Kalinka and Robert in bibl.
). There is no coinage. The
name and site are established by inscriptions found on
the spot; these are decrees of the 3d c. B.C. dated by the
regnal years of Ptolemy II. The site is close to a large
lake, now reduced to a marsh; the acropolis is fortified
by a wall and tower. There are a number of tombs, some
rock-cut, some built, some sarcophagi.
J. Bent, JHS
10 (1889) 50ff; R. Heberdey & E. Kalinka, Bericht über zwei Reisen
TAM II, 1 (1920) 51; L. Robert, Villes d'Asie Mineure
G. E. BEAN