previous next

MEKYBERNA Chalkidike, Greece.

The port town of Olynthos. The mound lies close to the shore, controlling two coves with wide beaches separated by an artificial mole. Early archaic remains were found in houses destroyed by fire, perhaps by retreating Persians in 479 B.C. Although the later row-houses along the N-S oriented streets were simple in plan, without courts or paved floors, the finds in them were fully comparable to those from contemporary Olynthos. The town was occupied by Philip before 348 B.C., but was probably not abandoned until the inhabitants moved to Kassandreia, soon after that town was founded in 316 B.C.


BIBLIOGRAPHY

G. E. Mylonas in AJA 47 (1943) 78MPI.

M. H. MC ALLISTER

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: