the right bank of the lower Danube, 9 km E of Salsovia
(Mahmudia). Recent research has identified here two
Traco-Getic cemeteries containing cremation graves from
the 3d and 2d c. B.C. At 2 km E of the village are the
ruins of a Roman city with strong walls of stone and
a defense ditch. In the interior are traces of stone buildings, tiles, pottery fragments, and coins from the Roman Republican and Imperial periods. The ancient name of the settlement is not known but both Halmyris (It. Ant
226.4) at 8 Roman miles from Salsovia, and Gratiana
(Procop. De aed
. 4.11) have been suggested.
C. Moisil, Buletinul Comisiunii Monumentelor Istorice
2 (1909) 98; V. Pârvan, AA
434-35; E. Bujor, “Santierul arheologic Murighiol,” Materiale şi Cercetări Arheologice
5 (1959) 373-77.