auxiliary fort 6 km SW of Selkirk. Excavation in 1951-52
showed that it was built ca. A.D. 80 and was square with
an internal area of 1.4 ha. The defenses comprised a turf
rampart and two ditches, and the four timber gateways
were of unusual design. Subsequently an annex was added
on the S and the defenses were overhauled, but the fort
was abandoned soon after A.D. 100. The internal buildings have not been explored. To the N are some remains of a temporary camp.
Proc. Soc. Ant. Scotland
86 (1952) 81-105.
K. A. STEER