previous next

PERGAMON Cyprus.

On the N coast. The ruins of a small town identified by Hogarth with Pergamon extend around the Church of Panaghia Pergaminiotissa, due NE of Akanthou village, some 500 m from the sea. A low, rocky hill to the N may have been the acropolis.

Nothing is known of the founding or history of this small town, which seems to have flourished in Graeco-Roman and in Early Byzantine times. The town site is now a field of ruins partly under cultivation and partly overgrown with scrub. The acropolis has been quarried but on its summit a single pillar of rock is still standing while on its gentle slope two depressions have been cut, connected with each other by a flight of four steps.

The site is unexcavated.


BIBLIOGRAPHY

D. G. Hogarth, Devia Cypria (1889) 96-98.

K. NICOLAOU

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: