(Khirbet Fasail) Occupied Jordan.
Town N of Jericho, founded by Herod the Great in
memory of his elder brother Phasael (Joseph. AJ
). Herod bequeathed the city to his sister Salome
18.31), who gave it to Livia, the wife of Augustus.
The town was famous for its dates (Plin. HN
In the Byzantine period it figured on the Madaba mosaic
map. Surveys have revealed a town built on the Hippodamian plan, with streets intersecting at right angles.
Remains of some large buildings may be those of a
palace and a temple. The city's water came from a distant spring through an aqueduct 10.4 km long.
F. M. Abel, Géographie de la Palestine
u (1938) 408-9; M. Avi-Yonah, The Holy Land