or Sennabris (Khirbet el-Kerak) Israel.
A town built by Ptolemy II on part of the mound
of Khirbet el-Kerak (Talmudic Beit Yerah) on the SW
shore of the Sea of Galilee. Josephus (BJ 3.447
called it Sennabris.
The fortified town built in the Hellenistic period had
an area of ca. 125 ha and a wall ca. 1.6 km around,
built on a socle of basalt 4.5-6.3 m wide and 3.6 m high,
with mud brick above. The wall was strengthened by
alternating rectangular and round towers. Some private
houses have also been found. Close to the lake was a
Roman fort (54 x 54 m), with corner towers and a
gate on the S protected by two towers. Within the fort
were remains of a synagogue, built when the fort was
in ruins. It was a basilica (30.6 x 19.8 m), with a niche
in its S wall, facing Jerusalem. The nave had a mosaic
pavement, with designs of plants and lions. On one of
the column bases Jewish symbols were engraved. A
bath was found in another area. The latest building on
the site was a Christian basilican church, built in the
5th c., rebuilt in A.D. 528-29, and destroyed at the beginning of the 7th c.
F. M. Abel, Géographie de la Palestine
II (1938) 284; B. Maisler et al., IEJ
2 (1952) 165-73;
P. Bar-Adon, ibid. 3 (1953) 132; 4 (1954) 128-29; 5
(1955) 273; P. Delougaz & R. C. Haines, A Byzantine
Church at Khirbat al-Karak
(1960); M. Avi-Yonah, The
(1966) 37, 70, 138.