The name of a
modern village N of Argos which has been used to identify a blockhouse 4 km beyond it to the NW. 11.6 x 11.8 m in plan, the fort is built of polygonal, conglomerate blocks, with bulging faces and no attempt at coursing. The 3 m high wall rests on a two-course base at the
lowest point and is topped with a course of slabs. The
entrance door with a horizontal lintel is at the corner;
the interior is divided into rooms. There is no evidence
concerning the roof or upper story. The masonry and, in
particular, projecting stone channels for the entry and
exit of the water supply have been dated as no earlier
than the 4th c. B.C. There are remains of two other blockhouses nearby.
L. Lord in Hesperia
7 (1938) 496fMPI
Y. Béquignon in RA
, sér. 6, 14 (1939) 48f.
M. H. MC ALLISTER