previous next

SAINT-BÉAT Haute-Garonne, France.

On both banks of the Garonne the white marbles of the Montagne d'Arrie and the dun-colored marbles of the Pène Saint-Martin were exploited on a large scale during the Roman Empire. Remains of the ancient quarries are still visible. At La Mailh de las Figuras an abandoned quarry face was transformed into a cliff sanctuary dedicated to Silvanus and to the local god Erriapus.


BIBLIOGRAPHY

B. Sapène, “Autels votifs, ateliers de marbriers et sanctuaire gallo-romains découverts à Saint-Béat en 1946,” Rev. de Comminges 69 (1946) 283-325 & figs. 1-20; M. Labrousse, “Un sanctuaire rupestre gallo-romain dans les Pyrénées,” in Mélanges Charles Picard (1948) 481-521; Espérandieu-Lantier, Recueil . . . 13 (1949) 14-15 & pls. XVIII-XIX, nos. 8119-25; P. Wuilleumier, Inscriptions latines des Trois Gaules (1963) 1-10, nos. 2-30.

M. LABROUSSE

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: