previous next

SALIHADASI (“Karyanda”) Turkey.

An island between Myndos and Bargylia in Caria with a sheltered anchorage. At its E end on a hill above a deserted village are considerable remains of a town or city now buried in almost impenetrable scrub. A wall some 160 m long and 1 m thick runs N-S; it is built of dry rubble, with two facings and a filling of small stones. Numerous other walls, from fortifications and houses, are to be seen, but under present conditions it is hardly possible to determine the full extent of the site. Tiles and sherds seem to be of the 4th c. B.C. So far as the material evidence goes, this appears to be by far the most likely site for the island of Karyanda. The location (Pseudo-Skylax, Strab. 658, Mela 1.85, Plin. HN 5.107) has long been sought, and Pliny (HN 5.134) and Strabo make it clear that two sites, one mainland and one island, are required. Strabo speaks of “Myndos . . . and after this Bargylia, also a city, and in between these a lake Karyanda and an island of the same name where the Karyandans used to dwell.”

Apparently the Karyandans, early in the 3d c., crossed to the mainland and settled on the shore around Göl, the only lake in this area, where there was later a flourishing Byzantine township; they thus became citizens of Myndos (whose territory had been depopulated by Mausolos' transference of the Lelegians to Halikarnassos), in effect replacing the now deserted Lelegian site on the hill above (cf. Madnasa). Their settlement, naturally unfortified, has left no traces, having been completely covered by the Byzantine occupation.


BIBLIOGRAPHY

W. R. Paton, BCH 12 (1888) 282 (Pserimos, name); id. & J. Myres, JHS 14 (1894) 37Sf; Head, Hist. Num. 612; A. Maiuri, Nuova Silloge . . . (1925) (inscriptions); ATL I (1939) 498; G. E. Bean & J. M. Cook, BSA 50 (1955) 155-60 (full discussion).

G. E. BEAN

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: