Late Roman fortress
4 km N of Vaduz, on the road to Feldkirch, Austria.
Its ancient name is not known. It guarded the highway
from Italy between Curia and Brigantium, on the right
bank of the Rhine. The fort, overlooking the valley, is
in the center of the modern town. It was built after
the middle of the 4th c. A.D. and abandoned probably in
A.D. 401, when Stilicho recalled most of the troops N
of the Alps. Some occupation, however, may have lasted
into the 5th c.
The E half has been excavated. The fort was almost
square (59-60.5 m on a side), with square towers
at the corners and in the middle of the N and S sides.
The entrance was through the N tower (8.5 x 7.6 m),
which had inner and outer gates (2.9 m wide) and a
room between (4.2 x 4.1 m). The walls were thick for
the size of the fort (3.6 m in the curtain walls, 1.9 m
in the towers). Inside were baths (13 x 5 m), wooden
casemates, a kitchen, perhaps a granary, and traces of
workshops for iron and hartshorn.
In the 5th or 6th c. a baptistery and a church of St.
Peter were built inside the walls. Parts of the N wall and
its middle tower survive in and outside the church, which
dates in its present form from ca. 1500. Remains of the
earlier periods of the church are also preserved. Finds
are in the Liechtensteinisches Landesmuseum in Vaduz.
F. Staehelin, Die Schweiz in römischer
(3d ed. 1948) 275-76; D. Beck, “Das spätrömische
Kastell und die St. Peterskirche in Schaan,” Jb. Schweiz.
Gesell. f. Urgeschichte
49 (1962) 29-38PI
; E. Ettlinger,
“Die Kleinfunde aus dem spätrömischen Kastell Schaan,” Jb. Hist. Vereins f. das Fürstentum Liechtenstein
V. VON GONZENBACH