One of the 12
important cities in Phrygia, 35 km S of Uşak (Temenothyrae). The site is at the foot of Mt. Bulkaz, in the
plain of the Banaz çayi (the ancient Senaros river).
Sebaste was one of the cities founded during the Romanization of Asia Minor. It lies midway between Acmonia
(Ahat köy) on the Royal Road and Eumenia in the
Maeander valley. Augustus founded the city in 20 B.C.
at the suggestion of the oracle of Apollo, on the site of
several earlier Anatolian settlements. Imperial coinage
runs from the time of Augustus until after Gordian III.
The main types are: obverse, head of Dionysos, Men,
young Herakles; reverse, Zeus, Kybele, Perseus slaying
Gorgo, Caracalla on horseback, and a river god. Inscriptions with the words polis, strategos, and agoranomos indicate the city's importance. In the Byzantine period it became a bishopric.
The remains include Early Bronze Age mounds not
yet explored, and three Lydian tumuli (5th c. B.C.) with
funerary chambers. One of them has marble masonry of
Roman remains are inscriptions (historical, funerary,
votive), including one with the name of Sebaste reused
in a Byzantine church wall; foundations of a Roman
building under a Byzantine church; a marble votive
statue of Zeus now in the Istanbul Archaeological
Museum; many fragments of architraves, columns, capitals, sarcophagi, and Phrygian door-stelai scattered over the site.
There are also Byzantine buildings, especially of the
6th and 10th c. A.D.: a complex of churches, including
the remains of two large basilicas and several chapels
within a surrounding wall. Marble iconostases with colored glass inlays are in the Selçikler museum depot and the Uşak Museum.
W. M. Ramsay, Cities and Bishoprics
II (1897) 5; Head, Hist. Num
. 684; J. Keil &
A. von Premerstein, Bericht uber eine zweite Reise in
(1911) no. 265; G. Mendel, Catalogue des
. . . Istanbul Museum) III (1914) no. 813; Ruge,
III A (1921) 209; D. Magie, Roman Rule in Asia
(1950) I, 472ff; II, 1334 n. 14; N. Firatli, CahArch
19 (1969) 151-66; id., TurkArkDerg
19, 2 (1970) 109-60; Ü. İzmirligil, TurkArkDerg
21, 1 (1974).