(Rodez) Aveyron, France.
The Gallic oppidum of Segodunum and the Gallo-Roman
town which was the capital of the civitas of the Ruteni
both occupied the steep hill—now the site of the modern
town—above the right bank of the Aveyron. The amphitheater was excavated on two occasions in the 19th c.
The aqueduct is known over a length of ca. 30 km. Apart
from these, it has never been possible to undertake systematic investigations inside the town. The finds of the
past twenty years, the accidental products of road and
housing construction, include a large collection of pottery dating from the 1st c. B.C. to the 4th c. A.D. They
have led to the accurate determination of the ancient
stratigraphy of certain districts, to the discovery of several funerary pits of the 1st c. B.C., and to the probable discovery of a very large building near the cathedral and of an important villa near Saint-Amans.
A. Albenque, Inv. de l'archéologie gallo-romaine du département de l'Aveyron
nos. 282-362; id., Les Rutènes
(1948) 187-211; L. Balsan,
“Découvertes d'amphores rue Séguret-Saincric, à Rodez,” Rev. du Rouergue
13 (1959) 102-5; id., “Découvertes archéologiques place Emma Calvé, à Rodez,” ibid. 20 (1968) 30-33; J. Boube, “Les sarcophages paléochrétiens de Rodez,” Pallas
6 (1958) 79-111. Cf. M. Labrousse in Gallia
20 (1962) 552-53 & fig. 6; 22 (1964) 434; 24 (1966) 416-17 & fig. 7; 26 (1968) 521-22 & fig. 7.