previous next

SEGOVIA Segovia, Spain.

Celtic oppidum, belonging to the Arevaci according to Pliny (3.27) and Ptolemy, although according to Livy (91) it was in the territory of the Vaccaei. It lies at the confluence of the Eresma and Clamores, and was a stage on the Roman road from Miacum to Salmantica. There are few references to it, but during the Lusitanian wars the town preferred to sacrifice the hostages delivered to Viriatus rather than break the pact concluded with Rome in 151 B.C. (Frontin. 4.5.22). A battle was fought there in 75 B.C. by Metellus against the defeated Hirtuleius, Sertorius' deputy.

The aqueduct, mentioned in inscriptions as early as the 1st c. A.D., carried water from the Acebeda for some 16 km and delivered it to the Castellum of Caseron (CIL II, 2746, 2751). The arches, 728 m long and of granite ashlar, cross the valley at an angle; the two tiers are 30 m high and 5.72 m thick. Outside the town are two Roman bridges, called Castellano and Lavadores.


BIBLIOGRAPHY

F. Javier Cabello, Guia de Segovia (1949); S. Alcolea, Segovia y su provincia (1958).

M. PELLICER CATALAN

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: